Friday, June 17, 2016

Hair Today Gone Tomorrow


Greetings from Kauai! Yes, I'm in Hawaii! My dear friend Stephanie is celebrating her birthday and had invited me a few weeks ago. Per my usual response lately, I declined with a myriad of excuses. Not enough money, too much going on with work..blah blah blah! Then I received the fun news of the spread and the immediate start of radiation so it was totally off the table.

Well....after three radiation treatments I decided to pump the breaks. Yes, you read that correctly. I did an 180 in my treatment. I realized I just blindly went into the new treatment protocol. I think when I heard brain, my brain just froze and like a sheep I just followed. It all happened so fast I didn't have a chance to really get second and third opinions. I briefly discussed it with other doctors and they all said the same thing but I still felt I needed to explore other options.

I decided to meet with a new doctor (thanks to my guardian angel Tom Hoppa!) that wanted to try a few new drugs. So with faith and moving all of my eggs from the standard traditional basket to a trial basket I jumped in head first! I stopped my current protocol, drugs, radiation and all and started a new protocol.

I figure I've given my other doctor four years (he can argue he gave me four more years) and I could give this doctor two months. I'm doing bi-weekly blood work to monitor my tumor markers and I will do a brain scan and chest CT in six weeks. If things haven't gotten better then I will decide if I want to continue or go back to the standard treatment. My gut is telling me this is the right move. Plus whole brain radiation isn't going anywhere. That option will still be there in two months if it's needed. However, there is no reversal of the side effects of WBR (whole brain radiation) and if I can do something to avoid it, then what do I have to loose!

So..here I am! Sitting on a couch, listening to the rain in a tropical paradise! My friend Cortney gave me the miles to get here and the house and trip were already set up! How could I say no! I'll be soaking it in for a week!

I will also try and tan my newly bald head! Yep..you read correctly! I'm bald! I thought I had avoided the no hair bomb when I stopped radiation. I guess my follicles had another idea. A few days ago I noticed a lot more hair in the drain of the shower. Then the next morning my hair literally started coming out.


I asked Andre to cut it to my shoulders with the assumption that less weight would slow the process down. 


Ha, well I was wrong! They next day I already had some bald spots, it was coming out in clumps and fast. So yesterday I made the decision to just shave it off! I ask Skylar to come over and document it. We are putting together a video and full photo's but I hope you are sitting down! Check out some of the moments below :)


 


18 comments:

  1. You look stunning with our without hair! Such a beautiful person with the most incredible energy. Enjoy Hawaii, can't wait for you to share pictures.
    xoxoxo
    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️ It will grow back. Rock that fierce new look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Sonja...you are just as gorgeous..if not more!! I love it!! I may have a surprise for you soon....my oldest daughter shaves the back of her head and puts designs....I will keep you posted...soak of the tropics!! ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Sonja...you are just as gorgeous..if not more!! I love it!! I may have a surprise for you soon....my oldest daughter shaves the back of her head and puts designs....I will keep you posted...soak of the tropics!! ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mamacita, thanks so much for sharing your story. So happy to hear you followed your gut and now you are in paradise enjoying company of people you love. Luckily you have the best shaped head for way of the bald! Sending them good vibes your direction you mf warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew you would look amazing without hair! Not everyone can pull it off quite like you can. You are my hero. Loveu

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look beautiful as always! Enjoy your trip in paradise and don't burn your head!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The look works for you!! A true beauty inside and out. You are an inspiration, as always. Enjoy Hawaii, Andre and great friends. Sending you (Andre and Steph too) all our love!!! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. The look works for you!! A true beauty inside and out. You are an inspiration, as always. Enjoy Hawaii, Andre and great friends. Sending you (Andre and Steph too) all our love!!! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look awesome Jah. Stay strong and remember bald is beautiful. Much love and prayers. Carter and Family

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are beautiful Sonja! Love ya, and miss you. Keep the blog coming its nice to stay up to date with you. Enjoy HAWAII jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with not doing the radiation treatment 100%. Trace Ramsey, a dear friend of Deanna.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your journey! You are amazing. Those pictures of you shaving your head are pure gold ....the emotion displayed is palpable ! Love you !

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look fabulous, honey! You'll rock that new short hair look soon too when it starts growing back in. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Post !! Very interesting topic will bookmark your site to check if you write more about in the future http://awriter.org/college-paper-org-review

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are Totally rocking that look! its just hair and will grow back! sending you lots of love....😘😘😘😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS Am paul,i once suffered from the problem of weak erection and death sperm count,which my family doctor could not cured,and it was affecting my home,i had to search the net for a solution,then i came across the contact of a DOC,Dr williams who help in the cure of weak erection and premature ejaculation,i got his contact,i never believe he could help me,but now am completely free from the problem,i gave him all the details he need to know about me,and i got the medication,which i took for some days,now am completely free from it,if you have such problem on it or impotency,you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete